Converting to FAA ATPL

Discussion in 'Hints Tips and Mentoring' started by Peter J Lawrie, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Peter J Lawrie

Peter J Lawrie Administrator

For the benefit of others, will outline my recent experience so far in converting my Australian and Hong Kong ATPL to an FAA ATPL

There are a number of steps and processes.

1. ATP CTP (Airline Transport Pilot Certification Training Program)
    2. ATP Knowledge Test
    3. Licence Validation Letter
    4. FAA ATP Flight Test
    5. FAA Medical
    6. FCC Radio Licence
    Will Elaborate further in following threads

2. Peter J Lawrie

ATP CTP

The first stage of the process is to Pass the FAA ATP Knowledge Test. To be eligible to sit the theory exam you are required to have an ATP CTP Completion Certificate.

There are a number of providers in the States that have ATP CTP courses on offer. I went with Aerosim in Orlando.

Program Information
    • 4 days/30 hours of Academic Training
    • 3 days/10 hours of Simulator Training
      • 4 hours - Level 4 Flight Training Device
      • 6 hours - Level D Full Motion Flight Simulator
    • ATP Knowledge Test Included
    • $4,995
      • 7 Day Program (without Knowledge Test)
      • 8 Day Program (with Knowledge Test)
    • Offered at Aerosim Training Centers
    https://www.aerosim.com/products/training/atpctp
    I chose Aerosim in Orlando, primarly with the intention, to be able to utilise the E190 Simulator. Unfortunately due to scheduling, the E190 was not available for the course dates i had selected.

Prior to attending the Aerosim course, you will need to apply for Category Level 2 TSA. Aerosim staff have concise instructions on how to register and apply for their Program via the https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov website.

upload_2016-11-28_20-33-6.png

Accommodation and Transportation Arrangement

For our student’s convenience we have negotiated a rate per night with the Hotel’s below for the duration of the course:
    In Orlando
    - Hotel Spring Hills Suite
    5828 Hazeltine National Dr.
    Orlando, FL 32822
    Phone: 407-816-5533
    Rate per night: USD $74.
    Includes: Breakfast and Transportation from and to Airport (Orlando International) to Hotel and Training Center.

- Transportation to the Aerosim Flight Academy in Sanford: for the FSTD session and Written test is provided by Aerosim only when students stay at the Spring Hills Suite.

- If students stay at a different location, students will be responsible to arrange their own transportation to all training events.

In Las Vegas
    - Hotel Fairfield Inn and Suites

5775 Dean Martin Dr.
    Las Vegas, NV 89118
    Phone: 702-895-9810
    Rate per night: USD $ 79.
    - Hotel Holiday Inn Express Las Vegas South
    5760 Polaris Ave.
    Las Vegas, NV 89118
    Phone: 702-736-0098
    Rate per night: USD $ 84

- For both locations this rate includes: breakfast and transportation from Hotel to Training Center and from hotel to airport but it does not include transportation from Airport to Hotel. Students are responsible to get to hotel from airport. The estimated cost of a cab for this ride is between USD $10 to 15.

- Transportation to the Testing Center is provided by Aerosim only when students stay at the suggested hotels.

- If students stay at a different location, students will be responsible to arrange their own transportation to all training events.

I highly recommend staying at the facility recommended by Aerosim, as other school candiates will most likely be at the same location, and the contact after class hours is valuable.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  3. Peter J Lawrie

Document Requirements for the ATP CTP Program

• Passport
    • Green card (if applicable)
    • Visa (if applicable)
    • Pilot License
    • Driver License
    • Address Verification document (if address is not in one of the previous documents)
    • Medical certificate
    • TSA approval (for non-US Citizens and US permanent residents)
    Make sure you have all of the above with you.

4. Peter J Lawrie

ATP Theory Test

Once you complete the ATP CTP, you will be issued a Course Completion Certificate. This is required to sit the theory exam, and in addition to the documents listed above, you will need the Certificate to gain entry to the exam room.

Aerosim Recommends the use of Sheppard Air for assisting with the study preparation for the theory Exam. I too highly recommmend it. It works very well.

Make sure however, that you choose the correct course. http://www.sheppardair.com/atp.htm

The course is a very affordable $75, and if you mention that you are doing your CTP via Aerosim, you will recieve a 10% Discount.

You can choose a number of platforms, I went with the ipad version. Mainly due accessability.

A tip. Ensure that you follow the guidelines on how to do the study. They also include a number of study guides and aids. It took me a little while to figure out how to adapt to the method, but it works well. I found it hard to get into it at first, and delayed my study until i was enroute to the course, not the most ideal. It will take 7 days if you pace yourself to get through the method with about 5 hours study a day. Optimally id suggest commencing the course at minimum one week prior to the CTP, and use the time after class for revision, as opposed to intense study.

If you are in Hong Kong, and are looking for someone to help decipher the study aids, i am happy to demonstrate over a coffee.

5. Peter J Lawrie

Theory Exam Day

On the day, Aerosim provide transport from the hotel to the Exam Facility. About 1 hour drive. The FAA examiner will check everyones documentation, and then allow candidates to proceed in and sit the exam via computer terminal.

I purchased the Electronic E6B at aerosim, and found that it was indeed useful for the exam.

You get a score and Exam pass certificate on the spot. Dont loose it.

6. Peter J Lawrie

Licence Validation Letter

The most time consuming part of the process is to have your Foreign License Verified.

To get your License Verified, you will need to complete the Application via form AFS-760
    AFS-760 Letter Information

You ou must receive a Verification of
    Authenticity (VOA) letter by completing the FAA AFS-760 form at least 45-90 days before your
    scheduled training event. For more information about the application process, please follow this
    link:

Whilst some people have reported they were able to get their licence verified in a week, this is not the norm. It took my licence nearly 4 months to process. Allow time and prepare to follow up constantly.

Initially i provided the request for my Verification upon Hong Kong Licence, however, FAA noted it was based upon an Australian Licence, and requested verification of that licence also. And resulted in requirement to provide approval to release information to both HKCAD and CASA.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Form/AC_Form_8060-71.pdf

The information you submit to the Airmen Certification Branch must include your:
    • name and date of birth
    • address where you wish to have the verification of the authenticity letter mailed
    • certificate number and ratings on the foreign license
    • country of issuance of your foreign license
    • location of the FAA Flight Standards District Office where you intend to apply for your U.S. certificate
    • statement that your foreign license is not under an order of suspension or revocation
    Just a note re the Orange Highlight. I was uncertain as to which branch to use, and randomly chose the Los Angeles FSDO, reasoning that if ever i needed to attend an office, LAX is an easy destination via CX. However i learned after the fact, that Flightsafety International Recommend to use

"You must list the Wichita Flight Standards District Office (FSDO):
    Wichita, KS FSDO CE 07."

All my correspondance has proceeded since through Oklahoma. So use the Wichita Office to save confusion.

I bundled up the 8060 Form, along with a Letter of "FAA Release of Information Approval" for HKCAD, copy of HKATPL, Aircraft Ratings, Instrument Ratings and Medical Certificate. And sent it via email to

By Email

Please email the signed application and documents to foreign-verification4@faa.gov
    NOTE: We currently do not accept digital signatures. We require that the application be signed in ink prior to scanning and transmission.

I copied in the HKCAD aswell. (plo@cad.gov.hk). Hong Kong Personnel Licensing Office

If you are going to provide information based upon your Australian licence, there are a number of additional forms and steps. I will detail it in the next Post

Attached Files:

7. Peter J Lawrie

Additional Requirements for Australia, Cyprus, Ireland, Malaysia, New Zealand and United Kingdom Applicants
    In addition to the procedures stated under Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License, Rating and Medical Certification above, airmen from Australia, Cyprus, Ireland, Malaysia, New Zealand or the United Kingdom must contact their respective CAA to complete additional forms that are required PRIOR to providing the requested information to the Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760. We have provided a link to each CAA for your convenience:

Note
    • You must send the additional information required by the Australia, Cyprus, Ireland, Malaysia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom directly to the country. FAA Airmen Certification Branch should not receive this additional form.
    • You must send our form Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License, Rating, and Medical Certification (INFORMATION) directly to FAA's Airmen Certification Branch. Australia, Cyprus, Ireland, Malaysia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom do not require copies of our form.

Above is Quoted direct from the FAA Website, and some notes for Australian Pilots below.

Australia / CASA are migrating all Licences to a new System. You will need to update and apply for the new Part 61 licence, prior to getting your licence Verified, so make sure you do this asap.

To Begin, CASA have a special Self Service Portal, and it is actually quite a simple process.
    https://customer.casa.gov.au/webclient/

If you havent already updated your licence to a Part 61 Licence I recommend doing ASAP. Transition Period ends in 2018. The process will have you confirm that the automated transition process has identified all the correct ratings and endorsements. Produce the form, and email. Recieved my new licence in about 2 weeks.

upload_2016-11-28_21-43-41.png

8. Peter J Lawrie

Radio Licence

Something easy to overlook, is the requirement to have a radio Licence. Unlike Australian and Hong Kong, whom issue Radio licence along with the ATPL, you will need to get a Restricted Radio Licence to use the radio on an N- Registered Aircraft, outside of the USA.

This process was quite simple and quick

Information Links
    www.fcc.gov <- Information
    https://www.fcc.gov/licensing-databases/fcc-registration-commission-registration-system

Create Account and Login Here
    https://apps.fcc.gov/cores/userLogin.do

You will want to register as an Individual, and apply for a "Restricted Radio Operator" licence

The licence will cost USD$70.00. It took a day to process, then an email link arrived linking to the new radio licence.

9. Peter J Lawrie

FAA Flight Test

For my case scenario, I am already G550 Rated and on Full Service Agreement with FlightSafety International. Therefore in addition to my normal recurrent, I apply for "Prior Experience" Course. This effectively adds two additional Sim Sessions / Days to the recurrent.

Once the standard 5 day recurrent was complete, additional 2 days consisted of

Day 1 was a loft excercise that consisted of 2 hours PF, and 2 hours PM

Day 2 Flight Test Day
    • 1 hour Type Rating specific Questions, with verbal responses (oral), can include ATP questions
    • Open book performance excercise
    • 3 hour Flight Test

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  10. Peter J Lawrie

FAA Forms

FAA ATP Practical Test Standards
    https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_standards/
    https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_standards/media/atp_pts.pdf

Form FAA 8710-1 - Airman Certification And/or Rating Application
    https://www.faa.gov/forms/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentid/185868
    http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Form/FAA_Form_8710-1.pdf

If you can, is best to complete as much of the FORM 8710 as you can electronically before the day of flight test. The instructor from Day 1 also needs to sign the form prior to conducting Day 2

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  11. Peter J Lawrie

Medical

12. Peter J Lawrie

Reserved.........

13. Peter J Lawrie

Any Questions?